Adventures in Turkification

My spring break began with plans to attend a birthday gathering of one of my classmates, then getting a few hours of sleep before my 6:30 am flight to Turkey. Naturally the birthday gathering turned into an all-night affair resulting in maybe 15 minutes of sleep before departing for the airport. I figured it would be no big deal since I could grab some sleep on the two-hour flight. Oh how wrong I was. I ended up being seated next to a woman and her two children (one on her lap) who baby basically screamed the entire flight. It was the worst flight I’ve ever been on. In one of its finer moments as we were taking off, the woman next to me pulled out her phone and proceeded to make a phone call as we lifted off the ground. I’ve never seen that happen before. On the other hand Turkish Airlines provides pretty good service. The flight attendants are nice, the seats are comfortable, and the food is really good. After arriving in Istanbul the trip got even better. One of the girls I was travelling with was detained because she was using her Mexican passport (she’s a dual citizen) and had not obtained an advance visa. We ended up waiting for about two hours while the police waffled about allowing her entry in the country. During that time we also found out that the airport currency exchange counters did not exchange Jordanian Dinars of Turkish Lyra. So there we were in Ataturk International Airport without any money and a friend detained by the police. Also I remembered the one thing I forgot to do before this trip. I forgot to inform my bank and credit card company that I was going to be in Turkey for a week. Well, two hours and about 230 Lyra later our friend was granted a visa and of we went in search of somewhere to exchange our money. Eventually I was forced to use the ATM and fortunately my card worked so I was able to get some local currency. After an adventures trip in a taxi with a driver who understood nothing we said, we ended up at our Hostel in Sultanahment, Istanbul.

First I have to start off by saying it became readily apparent that we were no longer in an Arab country. Istanbul is very European and very different from Amman. Our hostel was located in the historical area near the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia. I wanted to explore very much but unfortunately I was exhausted and spent about 4 hours sleeping in the Hostel. After I woke up we had been joined by a couple other CIEE students who just happened to be staying at the same Hostel. I joined them for a walk which took us through a park between the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia during which call to prayer began. We were buffeted by the call from both sides and it was a completely surreal experience. Once I had exchanged my currency I returned to the Hostel to meet up with the rest of the group.

It was decided that we were going to meet up with a CIEE Istanbul student who happened to be a classmate of a few of the girls in our group. So we set off for our adventure in Istanbul and took the Tram (a European style light rail in the center of the road) down to the Bosphorus where we caught the Furnicular (an underground incline railway) to an area called Taksim Square. There we waited at a giant square for Margot’s friend to arrive. While we were waiting we got to watch a Turkish guy physically abuse what appeared to be his girlfriend for about fifteen minutes while he shook her at times and supposedly punched her in the face. A few in our group stopped some Turks to see if we should do anything but they did not appear concerned. Different culture I suppose but I didn’t want to interfere as I know nothing of Turkish social norms. Eventually Margot’s friend arrived and she took us to a restaurant on Istiklal Avenue (I think that’s what its name was). The avenue was one of the most interesting streets I’ve ever been on. It was full of shops, clubs restaurants, what appeared to be the French Consulate, and the Turkish Communist Party headquarters. The street was full of thousands of people all speaking different languages. It was truly a sight and experience to behold. After having some yummy Turkish Ravioli we then wandered to a chocolaterie where we had gourmet hot chocolate complete with chocolate spoons and ridiculously yummy cheesecake all packed into a tiny room full of tables and people. After desert I decided to return to the hostel as I was still feeling exhausted after the events of the night before. After our time out I was able to get some amazing night photos of both the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia.

The next day we decided to go tour the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia. Unfortunately it turned out to be quite a rainy day. We waited in front of the Blue Mosque for Margot’s friend to show up and then we went into the Blue Mosque. Breathtaking is the only word I can use to describe this place. Wall to wall carpeting amazingly clean as shows are not permitted. The ceiling is majestic and intricately decorated with endless designs. Truly amazing. Words cannot describe it. You just have to go see the pictures on Facebook (if you need my permission just ask). After the Blue Mosque we headed to the Hagia Sofia which proved to be just as breathtaking. In some ways this building impressed me more as it is so much older and has a much more interesting history. It was built as a cathedral by the Byzantines, was later converted into a Roman Catholic cathedral by the Latin Crusaders, and then a mosque by the Ottomans which it remained until it was converted into a museum by the Turks. Once again, words cannot describe this building. Black granite columns, golden mosaics, a variety of stones in the walls, giant marble urns, not to mention breathtaking ceilings. Perhaps one of the silliest memories I will have is when I attempted to take a picture of a cat sitting by a giant marble in order to show the sheer size of the urn the cat got up, walked over to me and climbed up my leg and laid down on my thigh with its head on my knee. Apparently it was cold and wet so I provided a perfect warm bed as I kneeled in a catcher stance. After the sightseeing we went to a restaurant for some kofte (basically Turkish meatballs). Supposedly it has the best kofte in the city and it did not disappoint. Later that night we had some nargileh at a Turkish café and I had my first beer in months. During our time at the café a couple beautiful girls with fabulous legs walked past which resulted in our entire table stopping and staring at them as they walked by. They were wearing short skirts and high heels and I think we were all in shock since none of us had seen that in a very long time. It was actually quite humorous.

The next we went down to the Bosphorus and caught a ferry to the Asian side of the city.

Some of my colleagues decided it was a good idea to go into a communist party rally. I’m not really sure about the pull as you could see everything from outside the rally but whatever. We walked around for a little while and eventually found a restaurant. Naturally it was a restaurant that had nargileh as my companions found that to be the most important deciding factor in restaurant choice (once again, not really sure why but whatever). After dinner we were walking to catch a taxi when we came upon one of the most interesting things I’ve seen in a while. There was this glass case full of furniture and advertisements for a particular brand of Turkish chocolate/dessert. Inside this case was a live model sitting on a couch reading a magazine. I wanted to take a picture but I felt rude about it. It was yet another example of many of the beauty of Turkish women.

On our final day in Istanbul we took the tram to the Istanbul spice market. This was a classic Turkish bazaar full of shops carrying all sorts of trinkets, household items, clothing, jewelry, and all sorts of touristy junk. I walked around for a while and generally was ignored by the shop keepers since I’m not a woman. Apparently I don’t radiate the: I want to buy things please rip me off aura.

After some time in the market we decided to go to the Galata Tower. The tower sits at the top of a hill and offers an amazing view of the city.

To get to the tower we took the tram across the Galata Bridge and navigated up the hill via some narrow and distinctly European styled streets. Once we got to the tower we took an elevator to the restaurant on top and went out onto the balcony just in time for call to prayer. I took a video to try to capture the spectacle as we were under an audio assault of the call from a myriad of mosques around the city. The view was breathtaking and I could only imagine what it would have been like had the weather been clearer. I took a bunch of pictures and some panoramic photos as well so be sure to check them out on my facebook page. After the tower we had lunch and then went back to the hostel to wait for our shuttle to the bus station where we were catching a bus to Fethiye. But I’ll discuss that in the next post. In the meantime, I have Arabic homework to do. Until the next time, cheers from the Jo.

Published in: on April 16, 2011 at 8:15 pm  Comments (2)  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

2 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Cheesecake???

    I like that you are a cat magnet even in foreign countries. That’s my brother!

  2. Great blog and story. How nerve wretching finding yourself in a country with no money.
    I am kind of in the same boat with jordainian currency that cannot be exchanged. Could you tell me were you finally got it exchanged in Istanbul?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: